[ot-users] Discrete distribution

regis lebrun regis_anne.lebrun_dutfoy at yahoo.fr
Wed Nov 8 22:59:31 CET 2017

 Hi Pamphile,
You can also have a look at the output of DistributionFactory.GetDiscreteMultivariateFactories() and DistributionFactory.GetDiscreteUnivariateFactories() to get the list of all the discrete distributions for which a parametric estimation method has been implemented. Not exactly what you asked for, but rather close.
You mentioned the Multinomial distribution. Be aware of the fact that we don't implement the textbook multinomial distribution (for which X_1+...+X_d=n) because:1) This distribution is not absolutely continuous wrt the discrete Lebesgues measure on {0,...,n}^d2) As such, it does not correspond to the binomial distribution for any choice of the parameters3) Our definition allows to recover the classical one using an obvious trick (set the d+1 component of the probability vector to 0)
You have noticed that the UserDefined class allows to define any (ie arbitrary dimension, arbitrary finite support size) discrete distribution with finite support. It is why the list of discrete distributions is much shorter than the list of absolutely continuous distributions.
For a given distribution, you can check if it is continuous (myDist.isContinuous()), discrete (myDist.isDiscrete(), which is NOT the negation of isContinuous()) or integral (myDist.isIntegral()), this last property allowing to check if the support is part of a lattice, very useful eg to apply Poisson's summation formula.
Using the Mixture class, you can easily build a distribution which is neither continuous nor discrete, think about the waiting time at a traffic light as an application.
You can get the discrete distribution of a linear combination of independent discrete distributions using the RandomMixture class. It is limited to univariate distributions for now.
A++
Régis